Sunday, October 9, 2011

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun - Your Genealogy Database Statistics

Time for another Saturday Night Genealogy Fun from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musings.  Yeah, I'm late again.  One of those weekends...

Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to:

1)  If you have your family tree research in a Genealogy Management Program (GMP), whether a computer software program or an online family tree, figure out how to find how many persons, places, sources, etc. are in your database (hint:  the Help button is your friend!).

2)  Tell us which GMP you use, and how many persons, places, sources, etc. are in your database(s) today in a blog post of your own, in a comment to this blog post, or in a Facebook status or Google+ stream comment.
 
 Here's mine:

I use MyHeritage Family Tree Builder as my main GMP.  It states that I currently have 5,977 people in 1,712 families in my database.  That said, I did some quick consistency checking, and found I have a numbe rof duplicated entries, mostly from a single family.  I'll have to figure out where I messed up and clean out the duplicates, but this will only remove less than a dozen people.

The Maps tool tells me I have 1,695 places noted in my database, though I'm pretty sure there are a few duplications or variant spellings despite my best efforts to keep that cleaned up.

The Sources view tells me I have only 232 items listed, which tells you where my genealogy shortcomings are worst - citing my data sources.  I know it, and I'm working to improve this area more than I'm working to extend my lines at present, as I know this area is deficient.  Would it surprise you to know I don't own a copy of Elizabeth Shown Mills' Evidence Explained?




This and all other articles on this blog are © copyright 2011 by Daniel G. Dillman

No comments:

Post a Comment