Friday, February 4, 2011

Follow Friday - Genealogy For Kids

I'm 44 years old.  I've been doing family history and genealogy since before I was 20.  In all of that time, I've always been one of the youngest, if not the youngest, of any gathering of genealogists I've attended.  It seems to be a hobby of the older folks, although there are exceptions.  By the time we get old and interested in family history, we don;t have enough time left to do all of the research and organizing and publishing that needs to be done.  Sometimes it's hard to find anyone in the next generation who is interested enough to which we can pass the task.

Recently I was made aware of Jennifer Holik-Urban's website, Genealogy For Kids.  The blog is written in language that makes it more readable for kids while not dumbing down the subject matter.  It presents ways in which kids can begin researching their own family history from information sources readily available to them, including interviewing parents and grandparents, with sample questions given. 

I believe kids need a sense of where they've come from in order to know which way they should be going.  Family history is a good way to encourage that.  Genealogy For Kids is a great resource for getting kids started!

2 comments:

  1. Yes yes yes. I agree. This is a subject near and dear to my heart If you are interested I blog a lot about sharing genealogy with my grandchildren at Genealogy is Ruthless without Me. Blogspot. Com. I run genealogy classes for " Teaching Genealogy to Children At Risk" and have developed a Grandma's Genealogy Camp. I will visit your blog again to hear your great ideas!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ruth! I have seen your blog, but don't recall off the top of my head if I saw anything for kids when I looked. I'm very recent to the blogging scene, so if you haven't written for kids recently, I may have missed it. I'll take a look again, and if I haven't already followed, I'll do that as well.

    ReplyDelete