Thursday, February 10, 2011

Treasure Chest Thursday - Scrapbook

Scrapbook of Sally M. Lommel

I've mentioned my recent treasures of boxes of pictures and such from my in-laws.  Among those items was this scrapbook put together by my wife's great aunt Sally Lommel.  This book is a treasure trove in itself, as the pages contain dozens of obituaries and pictures.  I've already begun using the articles in other posts, and the obits have provided some data I had not seen before.  Here's an example page:

Page 15

I've completed digitizing the scrapbook using my digital camera.  Discussion of how to do that can be found here.  I did find that using the camera for this task was very much faster than using a scanner. because I could shoot the entire page at once rather than individual articles, and I could shoot the pages much faster than the scanner could scan them.  See my aforementioned article for details.

The little kicker is that many of these obituaries have no obvious connection to the family, this page being a perfect example.  Not one of these obits have I found to be connected in any way, and possibly they were merely friends or acquaintances of Ms. Lommel.  I'm focusing on the ones that are definitely connected, first, of course.

Treasure Chest Thursday – create a post with the main focus being a family treasure, an heirloom or even an every-day item important to your family. A special thanks to Leslie Ann Ballou of Lost Family Treasures for suggesting Treasure Chest Thursday as a daily blogging theme! (Blurb again shamelessly stolen from Thomas McEntee over at Geneabloggers.)

No comments:

Post a Comment