Saturday, February 26, 2011

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun - Count Your Trees!

Randy Seaver over at Genea-Musings has posted another challenge:

Hey genealogy buffs, it's Saturday Night - time for more Genealogy Fun!

Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to:

1)  Open your genealogy database in the software of your choice, and use the Help function to determine if your software can count the number of separate family trees you have in that database.

2.  Follow the directions if the program can do it, and Count Your Trees.

3)  Tell us about how many trees you have, and who is the "root" person in the biggest tree.  Tell us if you have any big surprises - did you find any disconnected trees that should not have been disconnected?

4)  Write your own blog post, write a comment on this post, or write a Facebook status or comment.

Here's mine:

I use mostly MyHertitage Family Tree Builder, currently at version 5.0.0.1168, to maintain my data.  I couldn't immediately see how to tell how many trees I might have, although I've only intended to have a single large tree.  Family Tree Builder seems geared toward only a single tree.

Humph.  That's not much fun.


Okay, let's try it with Legacy 7.  Using the helpful hints Randy posted on how to get Legacy to show a tree count, I find I have 22 trees.  But one of them is "Unassociated Photos", which I will assume is an artifact from importing the GEDCOM I exported from Family Tree Builder.  Okay, 21 trees, most of those have only 1 or 2 people.  How did that many people get disconnected?  One tree has 14 people, a group from back in colonial days.  Benjamin Pearson (b. 01 Feb 1657/58, d. 16 Jun 1731) is the root of that tree, but it includes both parents and siblings for him.

Now I'm wondering if I should prune out those disconnected folks?  I don't foresee needing them.  I'd prefer to remove the clutter, if I won't need them.  I'll think about it a bit and decide later.

How many trees did YOU find in your software?  Surprised?  Discuss below...

No comments:

Post a Comment