Saturday, April 23, 2011

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun - Genea-Wishes

Randy Seaver of Genea-Musings has another mission for us this week:

It's Saturday Night again - time for lots more Genealogy FUN!!

Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to:

1)  Think of the genealogy related wishes you have - what education, database, or information would make your genealogy research dreams come true?  Be specific - as many wishes as you want to list!

2)  Tell us about some of your genea-wishes in your own blog post, in a comment to this blog post, or in a status or comment on Facebook.


My wishes are fairly simple at this point, as I've not come close to exhausting the available databases.  I merely wish I could afford the subscriptions to all of the databases I need.  A good start would be Ancestry.com, as I've netted some data on their freebie events, and I know there's more in there I haven't had access to.  I'd also wish for free access (or money to afford access) to all of the state and national archives so I could purchase hardcopy of all of the records I wanted. 

Alas, as the economy has soured, such copies have become a more important source of revenue, and the pricing has gone up in a number of cases.  A single Social Security SS-5 is now $27.00, and most state records are $9.00 or so, and I need enough of them that it is cost prohibitive.  I recently ordered a copy of my paternal grandfather's military service record, which will cost me a hefty $60.00.  Not something I can afford for each of my male relatives who were in the services.  So I stick to mainly digital images of the documents I can find, which has the added benefit of not generating more paper.

Another wish would be for more hours in the day to actually do the searching and retrieval of those records...

No comments:

Post a Comment