Monday, December 17, 2012

Advent Calendar - Dec 17th

December 17 – Grab Bag
Author’s choice. Please post from a topic that helps you remember Christmases past!


I remember one specific Christmas in my past because I was not home for it.  It was while I was in the Navy, and I was away in the middle of a deployment.  I spent Christmas 1988 in Cannes, France.

Let me tell you, Cannes in December by yourself is nowhere near as fun as Cannes in summer when the rich and famous lounge on the beaches and watch movies.  I did my best to appreciate the style and architecture of Cannes, but that really doesn't compensate for being away from family and friends.   Some of the guys had their wives come and meet us in Cannes for Christmas, but my wife was not able to come (which may be another post at some point).

If you know someone stationed overseas, please be extra sure to communicate with them over the holidays.  It's much easier now than it was back then, as Internet wasn't available then, and phones were expensive and hard to connect on due to the time difference.  Now, you can Skype almost anytime, and e-mail is a nice way to be able to just drop a note, and know it will be delivered in time.  Mail onboard ship was frequently very late in arriving, and letters often arrived out of sequence, or all at once in a big flood. 


This and all other articles on this blog are © copyright 2012 by Daniel G. Dillman

No comments:

Post a Comment