Thursday, December 6, 2012

Advent Calendar - Dec 6th

December 6 – Santa Claus
Did you ever send a letter to Santa? Did you ever visit Santa and “make a list?” Do you still believe in Santa Claus?

I'm a born skeptic.  I don't remember ever believing in Santa Claus.  It's possible I did when I was very young - five or younger - but I don't remember.  I know I had it verified fairly young through discovering hidden stashes of presents before Christmas.  Sometimes inadvertetly, sometimes through a deliberate search.

Some people will call me a Scrooge for saying it, but I think Santa Claus is the biggest lie we tell our kids, and I am not in favor of it.  As used today, it further advances the over-commercialization of Christmas.  In fact, this was one of the few disagreements my wife and I had over how to raise our kids.  She is enamored of the myth and mystery of Santa Claus.  In the end, it became one of the battles I chose not to fight, but I still feel strongly about it.


This and all other articles on this blog are © copyright 2012 by Daniel G. Dillman

No comments:

Post a Comment